Shakti- Inaugural Event


The Inaugural speech for Shakti- Women's Symposium

The idea of an event like this was on my mind for a couple of years. It sprouted due to a realization that we do not
give ourselves enough credit for our achievements, whether on the home front or at work. We undermine ourselves,
say that ‘it’s nothing’ or ‘I am just doing my job’ and pretty soon everyone around us says the same.
The realization came to me very strongly one day when at my old job my manager was curious about my life journey.
So I told her about how we came to the US because of my husband’s job, started from nothing, had kids etc.
I had stayed home to take care of the kids and then worked part-time in the mental health field until they got older.
Later went back to school in my 40s, got my masters in counseling, finished internship and passed the grueling
licencing exam.  Finally got my license as a Marriage and Family therapist. She was so impressed and said that,
wow this is so inspiring! You are awesome! Guess what I said? “ ah, it’s ok. I know a lot of people who have done it.” Right??
And that is true but still we all have our unique challenges that only we face and concur. We deserve the credit.


Then I thought, if we want recognition why wait for others? We can start taking pride in our work, our
achievements; at home or at our jobs. Say proudly that, Yes, I did it! Take pride in everyday wins.
Think about it for a minute. Most of us came to the US in our 20s or 30s. We faced multiple challenges including
English! Yes, I still remember how when I first landed here, 27 years ago, it was very hard for me to understand
american pronunciation. Phone calls, Tv series or news would just land on my ears without registering anything.
I was not able to converse in English even though English is my second language. Because I never had to do it
before. And then there was a culture shock, lack of financial and moral support, lack of friends and family, financial
hardships, being homesick; the list can go on and on.  We left one life behind and we had to start over. whether it’s
going back to school, career, raising a family, making new friends and support system. All of that requires courage,
strength, tenacity ; whether you decided to have a career while raising your family or made a choice to stay home
and raise kids by putting your career on hold. And we did it all! Pat yourself on the back for it. Say proudly that
yes I did it ! And we are still doing it. So let’s give us a big hand!


When we shy away from acknowledging our success, our contribution, we are also shying away from the positive
energy that we create around us. That energy empowers us to move forward, take on another challenge and it also
empowers some other woman or girl to try out her passion, go after her dream.
The word ‘Shakti’ to me represents strength. Strength to believe in ourselves, to be ourselves, and follow our dreams
to make a difference for ourselves and others. ‘Shakti’ brings to mind an image of goddess Durga who is a warrior,
who protects the world from evil forces, who is powerful to tame the tiger and ride it. Durga symbolizes multiple
traits including courage, forgiveness, care and passion. She represents womanhood that is confident, strong,
passionate and independent.
We are gathered here today to celebrate just that. We all have traces of Durga in ourselves.
Let’s celebrate that Shakti. Lets celebrate our varied facets. We are leaders, artists, athletes, social workers.
We are entrepreneurs, doctors, politicians, programmers, chefs, actresses, teachers, poets and writers with brilliant
brains and sensitive minds. And we are also loving, and nurturing mothers, daughters, sisters, wives,
daughter-in-laws, aunties and grandmas. We fight biases and cancer, we challenge the norm, we manage
relationships, and we give self-lessly. Let’s celebrate being us. Take pride in being a wonderful woman that we all are.
Go Shakti!

Amita Khare
April 27, 2019